Saturday, February 11, 2006

2 Year Old

Watching my almost two-year-old son today I noticed he has begun something new. He closes his eyes as he is playing. Fascinated I watch him tool around our family room (also known as “mini- toys ‘r’ us) trying to do certain tasks with his eyes closed. I began to think maybe he is closing them because he does not want to get caught messing with something he shouldn’t be. If He’s messing with plugs and his eyes are closed I won’t see him, that line of thinking. Then it dawns on me that there is no other explanation other than he’s just... Gifted. As he sputters around with his little tykes drill and hammer eyes closed banging into the sliding glass door, I see this must be what Yoda was trying to teach to young Skywalker this whole time. Only my son is teaching it to himself! He is just trying to get inside to his inner chi. I look at him in awe and think of all the possibilities he can have. My son could be a super spy, a Chinese diplomat, a Jedi knight, or a landscaper (one with nature and all that crap). I watch entranced and try to think what must be going on in that highly intelligent mind. Maybe how to build a better automobile, perhaps stopping global warming, how to end world hunger, the list goes on and on in my mind. Suddenly I hear a whimper, instantly snapping me out of my daydream I look down at my son and “Yes what do you need sweetheart?” Looking up with his big blue eyes and wrinkled up nose I notice his hands are down his pants and the odor I smell is not coming from my cooking roast. I realize his communication skills are beyond superb and again I drift back into my daydream… speaker of the house, talk show host… My life so far….

No comments: